Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Service Opportunities

Dear Sisters,

I just thought this might be helpful to our relief society as we embark on our service challenge. The website is a government website that is very helpful in locating ways to serve in the community. It is super user friendly. All you have to do is type in your location and interests and it will search for a match.

http://www.serve.gov/


Here are some ideas I found by typing in "women" + my zip code:

Women on the Run

coaching and cheering on lead girls through work outs and being healthy and building self esteem. I think this would be great for our sports and fitness savvy sisters,

http://volunteer.united-e-way.org/uwtv/org/opp/1932341.html

Boise Rescue Mission

I personally really want to help out with the City Light Home for Women and Children. I am going to email the coordinators and perhaps we can arrange something for a group of us sisters to do. The receptionist said they are super swamped this time of year though, so I'm not sure if we'd be able to be fit in during our goal time frame but I am still going to contact them and see. PLEASE NOTE: the contact info on the webpage is outdated. The number reaches a receptionist but to contact the coordinators you need to go to boiserm.org and click on the "get involved" tab.

http://www.idealist.org/if/i/en/av/VolunteerOpportunity/92600-243/c

Personal Shopper for Interviews

This is more of a long term commitment and is during the day in the middle of the week so I know a lot of us wouldn't be able to do it. But I think it would be very rewarding if there was a sister who could! Its helping women shop, do hair and makeup and prepare for interviews.

http://volunteer.united-e-way.org/uwtv/org/opp/13159885.html

Donating Laundry Needs to Emergency Housing Shelter

http://volunteer.united-e-way.org/uwtv/org/opp/10235094360.html

I thought this is something we could definitely do as a relief society. I personally coupon shop and have recently purchased TONS of extra laundry stuff for long term storage but I think this would be a very good cause to use it for. It would be very doable project for us as a RS to each bring one or two items and then I would be willing to handle the delivery of it. This would be an easy way for sisters to get our service hours in.


Just a few ideas. I hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries here, just wanted to help out! :)


Also, if you wanted to you could add my blog address to the RS Blog: samandlivi.blogspot.com


Thanks,


Livi :)

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones